Apr 30, 2010

ice cream

I am always looking for healthy, dairy free ice cream. It is surprisingly not hard to find in stores and very easy to make! I discovered this amazing Vegan ice cream blog today and I was so excited!! The recipes are so easy and yummy! Now all I need to do is borrow my in-laws ice cream maker so I can whip up this amazing recipe below!!
Mango Coconut Ice Cream
3 cups coconut milk
1 c. sugar
2 c. mango chunks (½ -inch square or smaller)
2 T. lime juice
2 T. arrowroot
Mix ¼ cup of the coconut milk with the 2 tablespoons of arrowroot and set aside.
Puree half of the mango chunks.
Combine the pureed mango, remaining coconut milk, sugar, and lime together in a saucepan and bring to a boil. When the mixture has just started to boil, take off the heat and immediately stir in the arrowroot slurry. This should immediately cause the liquid to thicken (not a lot, but a noticeable amount; it will be thicker when it cools).
Set the ice cream mixture aside to cool. Freeze according to your ice cream maker’s instructions. Add mango chunks in the last five minutes of freezing.

I have such wonderful memories of making ice cream with my Grampy Green when I was a little girl. I remember the anticipation and drool on my chin as I watched the ice cream maker spinning around. He made the most fantastic ice cream and I don't think any ice cream will ever taste as sweet as it did when Grampy made it. I lost my Grandfather when I was only 12 and I still miss him so much. Little things still remind me of him, like the smell of a pipe, fish chowder or pink peppermint candies. It's sad that when you are young you don't fully understand what a precious gem your Grandparents are. I wish so many days I could go back to the days of sitting on his knee watching T.V. or picking blackberries with him in his backyard.  You are forever missed Link. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers