May 9, 2010

Happy Mothers Day

Today is Mothers Day and I will not be spending it with my Mom but she will be on my mind and in my heart as always. I talk to my Mom almost everyday. I have been blessed beyond measure in this life and I thank God everyday for blessing me with such a loving, thoughtful, patient, beautiful mother. There are not enough adjectives to describe how stunning my mother is. She puts up with so much from so many people and is never anything but gracious and loving. I have rarely seen her angry and she never complains... if she does than I know it is a big deal.
This is a photo of my Mom from many years ago. She was changing Julie's diaper on their bed in the little house. I never knew the "little house" but I have heard lots about it. My mother knew what it was like to struggle to pay the bills, to never go on vacation, to not have new shoes, to take care of her little girls all alone when they were sick because my Dad was out to sea. She did it all with love and courage and never complained.
I always had the most wonderful birthday parties growing up. She thought of all the fun games, made delicious cupcakes and always had fun party favours for my friends. My 30th Birthday last year was perfect because I was surrounded by the people I love the most. My Mom of course would not have missed it.
Christmas at our house was perfect because my Mom made sure it was. Fresh baked cinnamon rolls in the oven, coffee pot on, Bible story read and wonderfully thoughtful gifts for each of us. Our stockings were bursting with exciting little treats and personalized gifts. This picture was taken before I came along but it was in the "new house". 
My mother gets more and more beautiful every year. She has the type of kind, gentle spirit that I pray for. She is also goofy, fun and hilarious. She is not afraid to try anything and meets every challenge with a positive attitude. I will never forget her unfaltering faith and courage when my Dad was battling his brain tumor. The love she had for him outshined any fear that may have been trying to creep in to her heart. She kept us all glued together and positive as we waited for the doctors to return. Later that year she wrote the most beautiful poem describing the whole experience. Creativity and writing is another one of my mother's numerous talents. 
We may not be together today Mom but you are always in my heart, no matter where we are in this world. I will never forget what you did for me when I went to Europe for 6 weeks. Every Sunday I was gone I had a card with a letter in it from you waiting in my back pack. It made me feel connected to you and loved when I was so far away. I can think back on my life and remember a million times when I felt loved and special because of you Mom. I have such high expectations of my role as a mother because of you. I don't think I will ever be able to be the courageous, strong, selfless mother you have been... but I will try. Thank you for all that you do every single day to make everyone's life easier. You truly are the perfect mother.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers