Jul 12, 2010

electric cigarette?

Last week I was introduced to an electronic cigarette. My friend Monroe met a bunch of us out for drinks and was puffing away on it. I had no clue what it was. It looked like a cigarette except it was longer and was obviously missing the smoke and flame. I tried a puff of it and it was very strange, this vapour came out of my mouth but I did not taste any smoke or nicotine.

So what is this crazy invention?? 

-Electric cigarette: It provides a nicotine 'hit' but gets around the smoking ban
-Nicotine is its only ingredient, unlike tobacco alternatives which contain over 4,000 chemicals and tar.
-The electric cigarette is battery powered, has a glowing red tip and tastes like the real thing.
-Makers claim it can be used inside pubs and restaurants despite the national smoking ban as it has no flame and does not produce smoke.
-The stick, called Gamucci Micro Electronic Cigarette, uses small cartridges which are filled with the liquid substance. The cost about $4 each I am told and this is equivalent to a package of cigarettes. This is still much cheaper than smoking in Canada!
Overall I think the electric cigarette is probably not going to help anyone quit smoking. It just makes you look cool while you try. A recent study showed that the e-cigarettes only minimally reduced cravings and delivered almost no nicotine to the blood, basically it's like sucking on an unlit cigarette. Don't waste your money! Just go get hypnotized.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers