Jun 18, 2011

Pu-erh tea


I discovered a new type of tea this week! Just when I thought I knew all about tea. It's called Pu-erh, have u heard of it? As with many varieties of teas and coffees, Pu-erh is named after the region where it was first harvested. There is a small town in the Yunnan province called Pu-erh, and trade in this type of tea was very heavy there. They harvest the tea from a broad-leaved variety of tea, that is supposedly a very ancient strain of tea.

The brewed tea is darkly red, and has a bold, earthy taste. When I first brewed it I was amazed at how dark it looked in my cup but when I stirred it I realized it was a dark beautiful red color. Unlike most other teas, Pu-erh is usually purchased in a compressed state rather than loose leaves. The leaves are pressed together during processing into a variety of shapes. The 'tea bricks' once used as currency were typically made with Pu-erh tea. You just shave off some tea from the brick or ball, into your teapot.

The flavour of Pu-erh is often under-appreciated, because it actually gets better with age. Letting it mellow will improve your cup of tea. You can buy very old samples of Pu-erh, but they will cost you. Some aged Pu-erh has been in storage for several years. Think of it as you would a fine wine.
If you are interested in trying some of this fine tea I suggest you go HERE . 
I brewed a cup of the Coconut Cacao Puerh today and it was delish!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers